Posted on December 7, 2012
On December 6, 2012, Suzanna’s Kitchen, which produces FreeBird cooked items, announced a precautionary recall on FreeBird Nuggets and FreeBird Gluten Free/Soy Free Patties, which were produced on 2 specific dates. You can identify the products by looking at the “case code” and “use-by date” that is ink-jetted on each package.
The products are:
- FreeBird fully-cooked chicken nuggets with an identifying case code of 6220 and use-by date of March 15, 2014, ink-jetted on each case and carton. These cases have a Julian code of 2075.
- FreeBird Gluten Free/Soy Free Patties with an identifying case code of 6244 and use-by date of September 6, 2013, ink-jetted on each case and carton. These cases have a Julian code of 1249.
- 10 lb. bulk cases of Fully Cooked Nuggets with an identifying case code of 6221 and use-by date of March 15, 2014 ink-jetted on the case. These cases have a Julian code of 2075.
No other products have been recalled.
The recall is precautionary because of the possibility of plastic pieces in the cooked product. It is believed that this plastic is from the bag liner the chicken was held in prior to production.
Neither the company nor the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) have received any reports of injury or illness at this time.
- Media with questions about the recall should contact Susanna’s at 800-241-2455.
- Consumers with questions should contact FreeBird Consumer Hotline at 800-724-0206.
Complete press release from USDA website can be seen here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_079_2012_Release/index.asp