Picnic Perfect Chicken
Posted on April 24, 2012
The weather’s getting warmer and with that comes the great pleasure of outdoor eating. (Better yet if you’ve got a comfy plaid blanket upon which to create a classic picnic spread.) To help you get ready, we’ve put together our top five fabulous cold chicken recipe ideas perfect for any al fresco occasion.
1. Pesto Chicken Pasta: Pull apart poached chicken breast and toss with orchiette pasta, fresh pesto and feta cheese. Bring toasted walnuts in a separate container and sprinkle on top just before eating.
2. Chopped Asian Chicken Salad: Combine shredded cabbage, carrots and chicken in a bowl. Then add chopped green onion, cilantro and peanuts. You can dress it with sesame oil, lime juice and chili flakes before you pack it up or, if you prefer a crunchier salad, right before digging in.
3. Tahini Spinach Chicken Wraps: Make a dressing by whisking together yogurt, tahini and lemon juice. Toss with spinach strips of grilled chicken. Place in the center of a tortilla, flatbread or lavash and roll up. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and you’re good to go.
4. Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Sandwiches: Take that leftover grilled FreeBird and toss it with your favorite teriyaki sauce. Slap it on a ciabatta or soft roll with spicy jalapenos, crunchy romaine lettuce, cool cucumbers and thinly sliced red onions. Be sure to pack your favorite herbal iced tea to wash it down.
5. Crunchy Drumsticks: When in doubt, fried chicken is always a welcomed addition to a picnic spread. While your FreeBird drumsticks marinate in buttermilk, create a spicy seasoning mixture with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Season your well-drained drumsticks, then dredge in flour and fry them up. Allow to cool (of course eating a piece or two right out of the pan), store in an airtight container and pack plenty for the whole party.