Job: Flock Supervisor – Live Production
Responsible for overall farm management practices and flock results on assigned farms. Maintain positive and productive working relationships with contract growers to institute necessary changes to ensure optimum chicken health and achieve production results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Make weekly or more often visits to each assigned farm, and legibly complete and file service reports which are copied to producer and Live Operations Manager.
- Maintain a healthy and respectful business relationship with each producer.
- Bear responsibility for production costs of assigned farms, and gain complete understanding of the flock settlement process.
- Provide instruction on broiler house ventilation, lighting programs, litter quality, and management.
- Accurately weigh flocks to project processing weights.
- Be “on call” for occasional weekend or evening emergencies.
- Diagnose diseases through observation, post-mortem examination, and use of the state animal laboratory system.
- Medication delivery and inventory.
- Flock safety through management of alarms, generators, and computer back-up systems.
- Respond to processing plant issues as they relate to farm management.
- Daily communication and weekly meetings with Live Operations Manager.
- Learn all necessary scheduling duties and serve as back-up to Live Operations Manager.
- Become familiar with various broiler houses computers and controllers.
- Insure farm accessibility for bird loading, feed delivery, and situations involving inclement weather.
- Participate in educational meetings, seminars, industry planning meetings, etc., as requested.
- Perform all duties with a focus on safety.
- Complete course to become Pennsylvania Certified Poultry Technician.
- Ensure FreeBird Animal Welfare Standards are practiced on all assigned farms.
- Perform other comparable and related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in poultry or animal science or equivalent
- 1-3 years experience working with poultry or livestock
- Exceptional oral and strong written communication skills. Good judgment and strong problem resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization and across other functional areas.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Position requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to be flexible and work independently.
Near acuity (clarity of vision at 20 inches or less)
Exposure to farm environments
Exposure to fluorescent lights
Travel time in company vehicle
Occasional climate variation
Occasional on-call status for emergencies